Tips to cure that incessant barking
#1 July 15, 10:47 pm
Tips to cure that incessant barkingSymptoms of barking:
* Barking all day.barking
* Barking at every tree in your backyard.
* Barking at every human or every dog that is passing by your property.
* Barking at every noise and at every moving object the dog sees through the window.
* Barking like crazy at the doorbell or when you leave the house.
* Barking to demand something from you.
Cause of barking:
* Discipline factor – Lack of structure in your dogs’ life.
* Excessive energy factor – Your dog is not physically and mentally tired enough throughout the day.
* Welfare factor – Your dog is bored and has no other work to do.
* Territorial factor – Your dog thinks that he’s the security dog on duty.
* Fun factor – Your dog just likes to bark. He thinks this is fun.
* Fear factor – Your dog is barking to express isolation or separation anxiety.
* Demand factor – Your dog thinks that he’s in charge of you and you are his servant.
Cures for barking that DO NOT work:
* Ignore the behavior (ignoring behavior is condoning).
* Try to talk him out of barking.
* Take him to another room.
* Put him in the crate or closet.
* Use a water spray bottle. Certain breeds like crazy Labs and Goldens love water!
* Try to distract him with food or commands.
* Avoid the problem; like not leaving him alone.
Cures for barking that WILL WORK:
The best solution for putting an end to your dogs’ barking is simultaneously eliminating the cause as you attack the symptoms.
1. Give your dog another job to do besides barking.
2. Be the trustful boss for your dog, become the alpha leader, or your world will never change.
3. Make sure the correction is motivational enough to stop the behavior – no $3 speeding tickets!
4. Try out devices, either homemade or innovated by people like me, to distract your dog. (I use a product designed by myself called the Pet Convincer, a compressed air device that uses sound and feel to surprise the dog and startle him into attention.) Once you have his attention you can redirect him to any behavior you want.
4. Make your dog physically and mentally tired. A long walk is not enough. Although this exercise may make YOU tired, it will not make your dog tired. So take your dog to your back yard or the local dog park and make him run back and forth for 10 to 15 minutes, two times per day. Make him chase a ball, toy or a stick. Have several items in hand and keep him running back and forth without stopping.
5. Barking when you are not around is difficult for obvious reasons. There are great products on the market that will help you with this problem. One of them is the Good Neighbor Barker Breaker.
The Russian Dog Wizard’s Secrets
Secret #1: Top Dog is the lead dog. Do NOT let the dog lead you.
Secret #2: Top Dog is the decision-maker. All the decisions about things like what, where, when, and how with regard to activities should be your decision.
Secret #3: Top Dog is territorial. Make certain YOU lead your dog when entering and exiting doorways.
Secret #4: Top Dog is dominant. Before you do something for your dog, make your dog do something for you.
Secret #5: Top Dog only gives a command ONCE. You must give a command and make sure to follow through. Never give a command you know cannot be enforced. Never let the dog have the last say.
The following users say Thank You tofor this useful post:
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:36 pm.